[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Painting Pointers

James Dean jaguru at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 17 16:32:36 GMT 2006

George; I painted my 1969 2000TC in Brigade red Dupont lacquer around 10
years ago, removing all the panels except the roof .It is not easy to get a
paint shop to do it this way , they all want to paint in one day and get
paid. I  stripped all small panels in a strip tank, the doors, bonnet, boot,
and top, were stripped with stripper.I treated them all with Ospho.I  had
the paint shop use metalprep , then etch primer, then epoxy primer.  Then I
undercoated every panel with good quality undercoat, then they painted. I
had them wetsand , reshoot, wetsand again, and buff each piece separately,
then after the parts sat a month, I waxed them and assembled the car. It had
been a California, then Florida car, so had no rust , other than a tiny
trunk hole, which was repaired.I had removed all glass, including doors,a
major  job. I replaced all rubber behind panels, rubber around vent wisdows,
and front and back windscreen seals.I cleaned the bottom of thr car and
undercoated it.I also added 1967 rear window frames,as I likevent windows.
                    After assembly, the car  was gorgeous, and was shipped
by BMW/ Landrover NA, from Florida to Idaho, and put in the ballroom at the
National  Landrover Dealer's convention, (along with MG's Minis. Landrovers,
and classic BMW's, and a '59 Rover I had restored). to show  the heritage of
the marques associated with and owned by  Rover (then owned by BMW). 3
Months later, BMW sold Landrover to Ford; I always wondered if the Ford
people were also at that resort. Perhaps my fine rover had something to do
with the demise. I will never know.
                      Anyway, in my opinion this is the only right way to
paint a P6. You probably won't  find anyone who wants to do it in lacquer;
though I have the brigade red formula, and I have a source of lacquer, or I
am told you can buy it in Canada. The paint was kept waxed. and was good at
least 5 years, mostly in Florida sun. It has now been 10 years, the car is
inside, and the paint on top is checked, but sides and jambs are still good.
I think it could be sanded down to primer where it is checked, and reshot,
probably with modern paint, if the color could be matched; or redone in
lacquer, in the same color. It would not have to be disassembled this time.
As far as cost, I traded the Expensive German body shop Jaguar labor and
parts, for the job,I did  assembly, reassembly, and stripped the fenders and
small parts. They had a painter and helper on it forweeks, and it had a
$9,000 retail bill. It would probably be cheaper for you to buy my car,
which I would like to sell. aside from a repaint  it now needs a clutch
clutch  hydraulics, and a gearbox. It had  factory AC, has  Magstar wheels
but has a 2000 engine My phone   is 1954JAGUARS, or email
jaguru at bellsouth.net  I have lovely photos,after it was restored, if anyone
wants them. I hope I have answered some questions James Dean, Ft.
Lauderdale.