[ROVERNET - UK] Saloon / Sedan / Hardtop ???

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 23:37:17 GMT 2006

I enjoyed Glen's unraveling of the Saloon part of the
name and now find that it is NOT a pub crawler's
association ;-))

The name of the Rover CAR Club of Canada has a similar
history.  When we started, there were LAND Rover clubs
out here.  I contacted the Rover Car Company and asked
if there were any Rover CAR Clubs in Canada.  They
said that there were none registered with them or with
British Heritage.  The rest is history.

Eric

--- Glen Wilson <glenwilson at cavtel.net> wrote:

> Gundry, Kenneth wrote:
> > My car was described simply as the
> > five-seater, as opposed to several versions of the
> saloon (hard-top
> > sedan in American, I think) and two and four seat
> sports models.
> I don't remember if Steve Manwell had any input on
> choosing the name
> Rover Saloon Touring Club of America for our club,
> or if it was down to
> me. I don't even think the potentially humorous play
> on words re touring
> saloons (i.e. drinking establishments) occurred to
> me until after the
> name was chosen. I think that I was influenced by
> the British Automobile
> Touring Association of Nova Scotia and the British
> Saloon Car Club of
> Canada.
>
> The point of this posting is that I am always amazed
> that so many car
> people in the USA have never heard the automotive
> term "saloon" before
> they encounter our club in some listing. Sometimes
> they call looking for
> some sort of "salon" for classic cars. I put the
> word in there to
> distinguish it from all of the Land Rover 4WD clubs
> there are in the USA
> and the web. I still hear from people who want to
> sell or buy Range
> Rovers.  I might have said "Rover Sedan" but "Rover
> Saloon" seemed more
> appropriate and sounded a little bit artsy. I
> suppose words like
> "cabriolet" would stump the same people except for
> the sale of VW
> drop-tops over here.
>
> Anyway, that's my thought for the day...
>
> Glen

Webmaster & Magazine Editor:
The Rover Car Club of Canada -  www.roverclub.ca