[ROVERNET - UK] Rovers in Colorado

Glen Wilson glenwilson at cavtel.net
Mon Feb 13 01:15:44 GMT 2006

Lance,

I spoke to Ted once by phone, and he filled me in on what he'd done.
When I bought it from a guy in Wichita, it was in good mechanical
condition. In fact, I drove it from Wichita to Philadelphia with no
problems. I would say that it had all the upside virtues of a New Mexico
car and all of the downside aspects, as well. The rubber, upholstery and
paint had all been done in by the NM sun, but it only had one speck of
rust and no rot whatsoever. For some of us in the Northeast, that's a
major plus. When I bought that car, I was coming out of years of working
on low-cost MG's wherein major body rot is the rule. DIY welding and
spot repairs can consume an awful lot of time, especially if you are
teaching yourself how to do it based on Practical Classics articles.

It was a great adventure driving it cross-country in January of 1996. I
figured out how the petrol reserve system worked when the engine died on
the interstate in Tennessee. Every time I stopped for food or gasoline,
five people approached me with the usual questions Rover owners get in
the States. When I got it home and checked it out, I was very impressed
with the quality of the engineering after working on MGs. It was a great
into to the Rover world and I will always remember it fondly.

I got sidetracked by a 2000TC, an SD1, the 1963 Rover 95 and another
3500S and never finished working on Ted's car. Frankly, I invested a lot
of cash in that car that I never got back, but I made good deals on the
other cars. Now, George Phelps has the car in Maryland and seems to be
dedicated to bringing it back to life. I'm glad it has found a good
home.

Glen