[ROVERNET - UK] Series 2 in North America

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Sat Dec 9 15:16:00 GMT 2006

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 19:55:39 -0800 (PST)
  Nathan Obuch <nathanobuch at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Roverists,
>    All this discussion about series 2 cars has me
> wondering- was the Rover p6 2200 ever imported to
> Canada?  I know we didn't get them here in USA.
>
> Also, was the 2200 simply an overbored 1978cc block,
> or a different animal altogether? The stroke appears
> to be the same.

  Hi Nathan,
There are a couple of 2200TC's in North America that I
know of.  Both were later imports, one from France and the
other from Portugal, both LHD.  As far as the engine goes,
the head (identifiable by the" 2.2" cast into the timing
chain area,) and valves are slightly different as is the
design of the piston, not just the bore.  The carbs are
HIF6's instead of HD8's or HS8's.  The starter is of
different design (pre-engauged) and the air cleaner has a
thermostatically controlled hot air intake.  The cam cover
has "Rover" cast into the surface of a ribbed design and
is a slightly different shape.  The CR on the 2200TC's was
lower than on most 2000TC's.  The net result was a
smoother, more refined engine of about the same
performance as the 2000TC.  Throttle linkage is by cable
instead of rod.

Roverly,
Kent K.