[ROVERNET - UK] Rover P6B rear brake hoses

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Fri Dec 1 17:58:29 GMT 2006

Eric is correct about the conical depressions in the rear plate.

But...

In my experience, I have never had one of these come loose after I
worked on it, though I have seen a car with the final drive flopping
around because of loose bolts come in for repair. And I have never
straightened the depressions before refitting. It is important to use
the correct bolts, which have conical seating faces. The repair
manual says you should use a locking compound (e.g. Loctite), though
I never have. But please do use a torque wrench and tighten them to
around the 55-60 ft/lb mark.

The repair manual does not give a torque value for those bolts, I use
55-60 ft/lbs because that is a common value for that size thread
(7/16-24) in Grade 5 fasteners.

Not to say that the bolts are Grade 5, I actually suspect they are a
higher grade than that but I wouldn't want to find out that they
aren't, as that would mean some sort of failure of what are now
probably unavailable bolts.

Yours
Vern