[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Nomenclature Question

Drew Egginton drew at pitstop.net.au
Wed Aug 23 08:12:11 BST 2006

Okay...

The last 2000 was produced in March 1977 for the Italian market. When
Rover introduced the 2200, the Italian concessionaires asked if Rover
would be willing to continue production of the 1978cc engine for their
market due to the prohibitive taxes applied by the government to cars
with engines of over two litres. So pretty much up until the end of
"normal" P6 production, the Italians could still purchase a 2000TC. This
tax situation also produced such anomalies as the Ferrari 208GT4 and
208GTB with a 2.0 litre turbo V8.

This perhaps not surprising fact turned up in a recent edition of the UK
club magazine "P6 News."

Andrew E