[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 Distributor

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Tue Aug 22 01:16:21 BST 2006

Hi Nick,
Fitting the HEI requires grinding the intake manifold to
clear the larger diameter of the HEI and using the
torkshead screw from a Buick V6 ('76-'87) in the manifold
bolt hole adjacent to the distributor.  A socket head bolt
may also clear.  Only the Buick 350 (and maybe the Buick
455) distributor '76-'80 will work and the distributor
drive gear/oil pump drive dog from a Rover distributor
 from a '76 or later SD1 or Range Rover  type engine must
be fitted. You have one of these in your parts car.
  Remove the roll pin from the HEI.  Grind the tang from
the bottom of the distributor shaft (HEI).  You may also
need to drill the roll pin hole in the shaft larger to fit
the SD1 type drive gear.  You can use a Buick V6 HEI, but
the reluctor (and of course, the distributor cap) must be
changed to the eight cylinder type.

Roverly,
Kent K.