[ROVERNET - UK] rear hub rebuild

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Sun Aug 6 01:11:29 BST 2006

About the preload, get it wrong and the only thing you will ruin are
the hubs, no need to worry about the diff. Too much preload and, as
Eric says, you will overheat the hubs and the bearings will not last.
Too little, they won't overheat but the bearing will rapidly wear and
you certainly will have a vibration from the get go, perhaps even
quite a load noise ( the first hubs I rebuilt I did not use the
spring scale method, they were setup too loose and the customer
complained mightly about the bearing rattle coming from the back of
the car.)

Yours
Vern