[ROVERNET - UK] Wheels

S Manwell s_manwell at alum.swarthmore.edu
Wed Aug 2 00:52:12 BST 2006

Eric,

Thanks for posting these photos.  What you have posted so far is all
from before mid 1967, i.e. before the 1968 model year.  These photos
show Magnum 500 wheels (chrome) and Magstar wheels (alloy center, steel
rim painted black).  One of the many curve balls in all this is that the
3rd photo from the top, showing the two types of wheel, shows the
Magstar with a chrome rim.  Ford bought Magstars for Shelby Mustangs
with chrome rims, but Rover North America went for black painted rims.

I wish I had a scanner...  who can send Eric a scan of a later brochure
or press photo showing Rostyles on a 1968, '69 or '70 2000?

Here a couple more tidbits:

The price list dated 4-66 lists as options for the "Rover 2000 TC Sports
Sedan":
"NA 9000  'MAGNUM 500' wheels (5) factory installed (available after
June 1966)  $125.00"
"NA 9001  'MAGSTAR' wheels (5) $125.00"

The 3/16/66 price list for the "Rover 2000 Sports Sedan" (on the back of
the 4-66 TC price sheet !) lists no wheel options

The price list dated 1/67 lists as options for the Rover 2000 Automatic:
"NA 9001  'MAGSTAR' wheels (5) $125.00"
Magnum 500's are not listed

I'll have to dig further for later option lists...

--Steve