[ROVERNET - UK] Wheels

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Tue Aug 1 14:31:32 BST 2006

>Glen,
>Thanks for the attachment as it may have solved the problem-We might be
>dealing in semantics here. The photo of the Magnum 500 wheel shows it to be
>exactly what is on my 69 TC unless I'm missing something. They appear to be
>pressed steel chrome plated wheels with a portion of the inner circle
>painted-and they appear to be what was referred to as Rostyle wheels in
>James Taylor's book "ROVER P6" 63 - 77. So, I'm suggesting that the Magnum
>500 and the Rostyles are one & the same-perhaps Rostyle was one of the
>manufacturers early on and the wheels got tagged with Rostyle as a name for
>the wheels. Your thoughts? And that reminds me of Coca-Cola. Was Coca-Cola
>the first to use "Cola" as part of their name or was Cola the generic name
>for a soft drink and then Pepsi-Cola used the Cola portion. So, was Cola
>stolen? Was Rostyle in a similar situation? Good fodder for sipping a
>Guinness.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Fritz Rauschenberg
>Atlanta

Magnums and Rostyles are not the same wheel. They look very close to
the same, but they are not.

Magnums are made in the US, have a slightly different construction
and are only found on NADA cars prior to (roughly) mid 1967.

Rostyles are made in the UK and are found on all P6 from 1968 (or so)

The fact that they look almost identical is the root of the confusion.

Yours
Vern