[ROVERNET - UK] Clutch?

S Manwell s_manwell at alum.swarthmore.edu
Sun Apr 30 23:20:21 BST 2006

Gordon,

If the gear lever was suddenly looser (more play back and forth) then
the plastic ball at the bottom of the gear lever might have broken off.
Or the seat that the gear lever pivots in might have cracked.  Usually,
though, it is still possible to get into any of the gears with this
situation, but the gear lever is very sloppy.  Maybe some other part of
the gear selector linkage came loose?

Its also possible that some part of the clutch failed -- broken springs
on the pressure plate, disintegrated friction material on the clutch
disc, etc., but this seems unlikely.

Is its still easy to get into first?  Does the gearbox sound the same as
it did while you're driving forward in 1st?  (or 3rd or 4th as Paul asked.)

--Steve