[ROVERNET - UK] Engine removal

peter king peter at king-co.com
Fri Apr 21 15:55:16 BST 2006

Hi Lance.

I recently pulled the motor from my 70 3500s. The manual covers it
well. I pulled engine and transmission together, a simple de-coupling
from the drive shaft, and removed everything I could beforehand. I
found it was not necessary to remove the bonnet, but that will depend
on the type of hoist you are using. I propped the bonnet open as far
as it would go and had plenty of clearance.

If you are dismantling the motor yourself, get some big ziplock
freezer bags and label everything as you remove it, noting
orientation and order of removal. This will make your life a lot
easier on re-assembly.  Once you've removed the engine and stripped
it down, you'll find that the block is very light--no back damage
necessary. I've just recently hauled all my dismantled bits to the
machine shop for inspection, and am in the process of cleaning up the
rest of the engine compartment. This is a back-burner project for me,
so you'll probably get to the re-assembly before I do, but feel free
to get in touch with me to compare notes. This will be my first
rebuild as well.

Best of luck on your adventure!

Peter