[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 gearbox( Second part of James Dean's last post)

iudkuy wcygiohs iudkuy at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 23:01:09 BST 2005

James

I have recently acquired a TVR Griffith which has this
same box, the LT77. TVR first recommended ATF but
apparently it doesn't protect the fibre gears in the
oil pump which will obviously lead to failure. The
recommended lubricant is now Castrol SMX. This is
available in UK but not in Australia. However a
special version of SMX called SMX-O (for Opel) is used
by Holden (GM) dealers here for Astra gearboxes. I
have just started using this and the gear changes are
much easier. With SAE 90 gear oil it was very
difficult when cold.

I thought this may be of interestto SD1 owners.

Peter B