[ROVERNET - UK] Racing Rovers

Stewart Devlin gsdevlin at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 11:20:52 BST 2005

Hi,

I have been following this thread with particular interest while I was away
at work because I knew that, when clearing out some old stuff from my
paternt's house recently I came across a scrap-book I kept when I was just a
youth in 1968 and starting to take an intetest in cars.  I arrive home last
night and dug the scrap book out this morning.

It includes daily reports from the Daily Express of the original rally,
unfortunatly I seem to have stopped just before the finish.  The Rover
entrants (with first driver named) were :-
54 British Army Motoring Association, Major J.Hemsley, Rover 2000
44 British Army Motoring Association, Major M.Bailey, Rover 2000
99 17/21st Lancers Lieut M.G.Thompson, 2-wheel drive Land Rover

There are no pictures of these entries but there is a quote from Lieut Gavin
Thompson on day 8 ,when they crossed the Kyber Pass.  "We dont have the
speed but we shall arrive in Sydney in good shape while most of these flashy
cars will be clapped out junk.  We have not even changed a sparking plug".
The final report I have from December 17th, which I think may have been the
day before the finish, by then the Land Rover was out, maybe he spoke too
soon.  There is no mention of what went wrong or where but they did make it
to Australia.  The two Rover 2000 were still running in the final report,
car 54 was in 32nd place and car 44 was 49th.

Stewart Devlin