[ROVERNET - UK] Radio static???

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 01:00:05 BST 2005

Dave,
I found the concept of a warning posted on our
rotating aerial amusing.  I agree that anyone should
have stayed the hell away from topside when it was
operational.  Our "new transistorized" radar could see
driftwood alongside the boat.  I teased a
owner/skipper on a new installation by glancing aft
and then telling him that I could see a seagull
sitting on a log drifting down the Fraser River,
beside his fishing boat.

My cousin-in-law was a flight instructor on an
American EA6B aircraft with an unbelieveably strong
radar at the top of its tail.  The cockpit plastic was
lined with a thin film of "gold" to stop signals
killing the flight crew.  - Oh, joy!

Eric

--- Dave Read <defender110 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Eric
> In the RAAF's PC3 Orions, their radar's have a 200m
> exclusion zone both
> fwd and aft of the aircraft when operating in ground
> test mode. Any
> intrusion onto the zone would mean the end to the
> fathering (or
> mothering) of children.
>
> Cheers
> Dave
> South Oz
>
> Eric Russell wrote:
> > Ben,
> > Having just arrived at home and deciding to
> (wisely)
> > check what had been said since your request, I
> have to
> > say that I temporarily removed my electronic
> ignition
> > but expect to refit one soon.
> >
> > I didn't have a radio in the car and so didn't
> > experience radio noise.
> >
> > Now, .... if you want to talk about cavity
> > magnetrons, I was in marine electronics.  Our
> radars
> > HAD cavity magnetrons.  The 6 foot fibreglass
> radar
> > antenna had a stencil that advised the reader to
> stand
> > back at least 6 feet while the radar was
> operating.
> > That was wise with a 3 foot radius rotating
> scanner.
> > It was the invention of cavity magnetrons that
> allowed
> > the invention of radar.  Make sure your microwave
> > screen is intact!
> >
> > Now about radio noise ------ hmmmm.  Don't have a
> > radio ------ sorry.
> >
> > Eric