[ROVERNET - UK] thristy P5????

Ron Venter venterrh at telus.net
Wed Jul 6 06:05:32 BST 2005

Ben,
          So much depends on the type of driving. For a heavy car such as
the P5, a lot of stop start driving will play havoc with fuel consumption,
but on the highway at a steady 65 to 70 mph in overdrive it should better
30mpg Imp, or 25mpg US.
         For a car that is little used, perhaps the first thing to check
for is binding brakes. Pistons can rust and partially seize, and also brake
fluid seeping (just slightly) past the seals can get quite gummy.
         Next check the colour of the plugs after a run (with as little
idling as possible). This should give you a clue as to the mixture.
         Is the centrifugal advance on the distributor free? This may be
something else to seize up over the winter. Do you set the timing by the
book or by trial and error to "just before pinking"? (I don't know which is
best!)
         Finally, I have heard but do not have any direct experience, that
some mufflers can collapse internally producing excessive back pressure. I
don't know if that is possible with P5 mufflers.
         Please let us know if you find anything.
         All the best,
                      Ron Venter (on Vancouver Island, but willing to
travel to Prince Edward Island to relieve you of your P5).