[ROVERNET - UK] 3500S ignition coil

Geoff Kirkpatrick britcarnut at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 20:36:33 GMT 2005

Hi Rovernetters,

Ever since the engine in one of my p6 3500S's was replaced (at far more
expense than should have been the case; different story) it has suffered a
maddening problem which I now think is the ignition coil.  The car always
starts quickly and easily, but after it warms up the ignition will
suddenly cut out and the car will not restart for half an hour or more.  I
have driven the car very little since replacing the engine for this
reason.  I've come to understand that this problem can be caused by a
failing ignition coil.  Is there a particular type of coil I need to use
for this car, or are these more or less universal?

I have also suspected the ignition lockout switch on the gear lever, and
at one point I bypassed this altogether hoping that would cure the
problem.  It didn't.

Any other suggestions where I might look?

Thanks,

Geoff

=====
"This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him."
- William Lyon Phelps

Geoff Kirkpatrick, 382 Riverside Avenue, Ben Lomond, CA 95005, USA