[ROVERNET - UK] Happy New Year

Peter Huttemeier peterhut at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jan 2 09:09:52 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 07:32:50 GMT, you wrote:

>Were all very sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Guess everyone
>is "touched" in some way with such a great loss of live.

Peter,

I think this will be in this disaster's case.

While confirned Australian deaths are "only" 11 at this stage, there
are more than 1,000 unaccounted for. Given that it is now 7 days since
the earthquake and the only bodies they are pulling out now are dead
ones, we have to be prepared to accept that the majority of the
missing will either never be found or be found dead.

I am of course concentrating on our Australian missing, the enourmity
and international aspect of this is really mind boggling. Some reports
are saying more than 5,000 Europeans including Danish, Swedish, German
and Swiss are among the missing. Some countries having large and
active Rover Clubs.

I think there is a couple of corresondents from India on this list as
well, the south east coast of which has been hard hit, esp around
Chanai (Madras). I am not sure if there is anyone on the list from Sri
Lanka, but also very badly hit.

That notion of 6 degrees of separation will no doubt mean that
eventually many will know of someone affected by this disaster.

Cheers,

Peter H