[ROVERNET - UK]

James Dean jaguru at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 26 17:55:30 GMT 2005

I usually have original cylinders rebuilt and stainless steel sleeved; they
come with a good guarantee,, and if you ever have a problem years down the
road, the rebuilder installs new seals and retests them, reasonably.The only
problem I ever had, was due to a  a cheap doctor's car; He  insisted on
having his calipers rebuilt one at a time, when they leaked. Each time,
contamination  was dislodged, got into a previously rebuilt caliper, it
leaked, I sent it backto the rebuilder, they charged only for new seals, and
noted that leakage was caused by contamination.I charged the Doctor by the
hour, but a better solution is to do the complete brake system at one
time.American Brake fluid may also cause this rubber failure, so I assume
you are using Castrol?-Wrongly save a dollar, and it will cost you a
thousand.I have done one  P4, but hav forgotten the layout of the brake
system. One solution to your problem might be to add a separate servo, like
on a 2000. LandRover enthusiasts sometimes add one in theclutch system.
Kits can be expensive , to rebuild original ones;I use a new one made in
Australia(Sorry to mention Jaguar) for a MKII Jag; When I upgrade XK120's to
Front disc brakes. I retain the original master cylinder. The servo can go
anyplace, usually I put it in the Right Front Fender. (Unless we added
airconditioning; then the servo goes in the left, the condensor and fan go
in the right . This should translate easily to Rover, and in fact perhaps
someone from Down under, where the servos are made. offers a kit?. James
Dean, Ft. Lauderdale.