[ROVERNET - UK] Expansion Tank - next step

James Dean jaguru at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 22 01:31:25 GMT 2005

35 Years ago,When I had my First shop in Cambridge, Mass, and Rovers were
still low mileage used cars that I serviced; I spoke to the BMC Factory rep.
about overheating on Mini-Cooper S. The factory had solved this problem,
using BMC factory parts.They used a blanking sleeve- this was a thermostat
with the center removed. A flat non-release cap on the radiator(As I
previously stated, same as SI XJ6), And the expansion  tank, also used on
various MG's. Mini Cooper S and Series II Etype.I know no one wants to hear
aboutJaguarand MG, but the parts do not know what car they are on, and this
pressurized system works better than the non pressurized plastic
tanks.Regarding blanking sleeves, they were a competition item; it is best
to use thermoststs.Regarding the brass tank, The BMC rep said it can go
anywhere, but it must be below the level of the radiator cap.It should be
half full when coolant is cold, radiator should be full.The tank must be
accessible, as you top up its coolant, so don't hide it in the fender.There
are 2sizes of these tanks, the later one is fatter, and holds a little more.
If anyone wants one, I just found one. Contact me offline, or I will put it
on my ebay store, with a photo; where I put some other rare Rover stuff.
James Dean, Old English Motor Company.jaguru at bellsouth.net-- Original
Message -----