[ROVERNET - UK] Spring Compressors

agale at ihug.com.au agale at ihug.com.au
Tue Feb 22 01:18:33 GMT 2005

The "inner" spring compressors appear to be rare to obtain and I have to say
rely too much on the integrity of the spring endplates, which by now have been
sitting in the mud wet and slush of the wheel arch for some 30 years.

They lock in place into tabs set in the endplates and to me rely on what is a
very small amount of grip when considering the massive tension they have to
withstand.

It is far easier (and I think safer) to use traditional "outer" spring
compressors, which can be applied to the P6 spring once the mudguard has been
removed.  Although it takes a little longer for the job to remove the guards,
bear in mind our meccano-inspired P6s are a simple bolt-on bolt-off
proposition and, once the mudgiard is removed, access is improved immeasurably
and the extra time spent in removal and replacement is more than made up in
the ease of workspace created.

Further thoughts appreciated.

Alan
Gale