[ROVERNET - UK] Rover & Chinese

Peter Huttemeier peterhut at melbpc.org.au
Wed Feb 2 02:34:06 GMT 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:41:40 GMT, you wrote:

>Roverists:
>
>Whats the latest on the Rover - Chinese agreement?

Nothing official as yet from MG Rover.

I emailed a contact in the MG Rover Media organisation last December
seeking any clarification on the reports carried by UK press, and got
a reply as follows:

"The news a few days ago concerning us and SAIC was a tad premature,
as it came from an article written in the Independent and because SKY
News ran it as their lead story, it gained a momentum of it's own.

We have an agreement with SAIC (signed in June) and are waiting for
Chinese Government approval (expected in the New Year) before we
announce full details of the partnership, in the form of a joint
venture between us. That's when we'll issue the press release.

I hope that helps.  Do call if you need clarification."

So we are still waiting for official news.

Cheers,

Peter H