[ROVERNET - UK] LED Replacements

Tom Trafton v8rover at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 30 21:13:04 BST 2005

Roland

You are right;  the motorcycle world seems to have been researching LEDs for
increased brightness for a while now.  There are also several other good
websites discussing various applications to motorcycles.  The 1157 brake
light bulb that I tried was similar to the one offered in the website you
recommended.  One motorcycle website discussed quality of LEDs and made a
strong point that there is a great difference in brightness between
manufacturers.  I don't know if this is true but was disappointed in the LED
that I bought from Painless Performance, an otherwise good supplier of
performance parts.

I will be interested to see what you find out with your experiment.  The
limiting factor for the P6 tail lights is the conical reflector.  It limits
the size of the LED cluster that can be used.

For those who are interested here are a couple more websites on the subject.

http://www.customdynamics.com/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/led/led.htm

The bikeworld site seems to be the most comprehensive, with test results,
pointers to other web pages, etc.

Tom