[ROVERNET - UK] BBC E-mail: Rover cars to be made in China

James Dean jaguru at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 22 16:02:17 BST 2005

Several Months before Ford bought Landrover, I was invited to the Annual
Landrover Dealer's Convention, in Couer d'Alene Idaho-Lovely town, by the
way, Fall foilage- New England in the Northwest. Actually, Cars That I had
restored were invited, Landrover/BMW paid my way to accompany them.They had
an exclusive private concours in the ball room of the resort, to showcase
heritage. I brought the only Rovers, my 69 2000TC, and a '59 P4, I had
restored for a customer. The cars were moved by first class carrier. They
exhibeted a 1938 BMW and a 53 BMW, various BMW motorcycles, the Camel
Landrover team, and various MG's and Landrovers, Paddy Hopkirk's Mini(Along
with its personal escort-driver-guard), etc. My Rovers seemed to be
considered quitw important.This event was to showcase heritage, and show the
Landrover dealers that BMW respected the British Heritage they owned.After
viewing the classic cars, the dealers were ushered into another room, to
view the new Mini, an MGF, and a Rover 75. They were told the Rover 75 and
MGF  would not be sold in the US, but it was hinted that the Mini might, and
this event seemed to also be to guage the dealer's reaction to the Mini. I
never knew if the Ford people were at that event, ...and was  this  actually
a sales pitch to them?; but it seemed to be for the LandRover Dealers. I was
allowed to attend their meetings, and They were being told that Landrovers
would continue to emphasize the British tradition; though with
German"improvements" as BMW engines and handling improvements.The Ford sale
was either a deep dark secret, or happened quickly after that event
   The point., or question here, If BMW is keeping the Rover name, what
about MG and other names they own? Obviously they would keep Austin, and
they do not own the Healey name.Will MG's be built in China?  James Dean,
Ft.Lauderdale.