[ROVERNET - UK] Re: rovernet Digest, Vol 29, Issue 22

Peter King peter at king-co.com
Tue Apr 19 22:44:31 BST 2005

Hi Walter.

I've recently been sorting out some automatic choke (AED) problems on
my "71 3500s (with a lot of help from the Rovernet!) and I can pass
along one helpful tip.

Have him start the car as usual and let it warm up until it stalls.

If there is a fuel shut-off valve (small "t" valve in the line between
the (AED) and the inlet manifold, have him turn it clockwise to
disengage it from its locked open position. Once it is loose, it can be
pushed in and seated against the backside of the valve. Turning it to
the right while gently pushing in will seat the seal against the valve
exit opening, thereby shutting off any fuel from the AED to the inlet
manifold. Vacuum holds the valve tight while the engine is running.

If the engine has already been warmed up, there should be no need for
manually choking. If the car starts and runs with the valve shut off,
the problem is with the AED.  Eric's link to the AED article on the
Auckland site has excellent operational and overhaul information on the
AED (although I've completed the overhaul and am still having mixture
problems with the AED). I'm running fine with the valve closed off.

Peter