[ROVERNET - UK] Re: rovernet Digest, Vol 29, Issue 22

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:48:01 BST 2005

Walter, the first few things that comes to mind are:
possibly the fuel line is too close to the exhaust or too close to the rear
of the block. That is assuming it rises at the firewall to get to the carbs.
It should also run away from the exhaust pipe as it comes from the fuel
tank. My SD1 had the fuel filter mounted to the intake manifold. Moving this
to the firewall by the brake booster helped. The coil should also be on the
inner fender well-I think-and not on the engine. Heat kills ignitions and
boils fuel. Once the engine is shut off there is very little air flow to
cool the engine compartment. The heat will steadily rise under the hood. Ten
minutes seems to be the usual point where problems occur. One way to rule
out engine compartment heat is to run the car. Shut it off and leave the
hood open for 10minutes. If it starts normally and otherwise fails when the
hood is closed, you will know if somehing is suffering under the hood. If
the car also has a warm air intake across the manifold this should not
operate above 50F approximately. Air should only get to the engine from the
front of the car not from the exhaust manifold at anything above 50F.
These are some of the first things that come to mind. Hope this helps.
Ron.