[ROVERNET - UK] more 3500S brake questions

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 21:20:04 BST 2005

Peter,
I had a similar problem with my 2000 TC.  The 2000 is
different from the 3500 in that the master brake
cylinder has 2 compartments and 2 pistons which
deliver brake fluid to 2 servos and then to the front
brake and separately to the rear brakes.  The 3500 has
one servo but a tricky sliding valve which directs
fluid to front or rear depending upon which system has
unusually suffered fluid loss (broken line???).

I discovered *my* problem after lengthy fault-finding
which included jacking the front wheel and then the
rear wheel off the ground.  I found that I could apply
brakes to the front wheels with them off the ground,
go outside the car, and turn the front wheels with no
problem.

When I tried to do that with the rear wheels, they
wouldn't turn. I pulled the vacuum air line off the
bottom of the rear servo and let air into the chamber.
 The rear wheels released.   I reconnected the pipe
and reapplied the brake.  Rear wheels stuck.  I
focused attention on the air reaction valve on the
servo piston assembly.  I removed the plastic cap and
unscrewed the assembly so that I could see the
reaction valve.  I secured a cloth over top of the
valve and pressed the brake pedal.  The valve didn't
move.

I removed the front reaction valve assembly so I could
see the valve and put a cloth over it.  When the pedal
was depressed, the little valve shot out.  I
reassembled the front valve.

I returned to the rear valve and pushed it down with a
small screwdriver.  I depressed the brake pedal and
that valve moved far enough to just clear the cylinder
and allow me to remove it.  An inspection with a small
flashlight showed rust residue in the reaction valve
cylinder and on the piston where the blueing had been
removed.

Disclaimer:  The following procedure is not in the
repair manual and I was prepared to rebuild the servo
if trouble arose.

I used 1000 weight wet and dry paper rolled into a
tight roll and then moistened it with brake fluid.
Then I cleaned the rust out of the cylinder.  I
likewise cleaned the little piston.  I wiped the
piston and seal in fresh brake fluid.  I used a cotton
tipped swab moistened with brake fluid to wipe the
inside of the reaction valve cylinder.

I then reinserted the reaction valve and reassembled
the cover.  I tested the brakes and they worked
perfectly. They have been working well now for 4
years.

Eric

Webmaster & Magazine Editor:
The Rover Car Club of Canada -  www.roverclub.ca