[ROVERNET - UK] Re: Rover 2000SC Tires

Walter Reynolds wreynold at uniserve.com
Thu Sep 30 21:36:31 BST 2004

Hi everyone.  Many thanks for the responses to my questions on the SC
steering box.  I took the easiest possible remedy as the first thing to
check i.e. check tire pressures and set pressure to 31 pounds and it seems
to have worked.  The steering, though tough reflects manual rather than
pumping-iron-arm-strong steering.

New question, but still on tires:  The tires on the car are Pirelli 164x14's
and I will need to replace them soon as all four tire walls are cracking.
My local OK Tire store manager priced the 164x14's at $189 each if I wanted
to keept to the original specs.  I told him that I wouldn't be putting the
car in for any concours competitions, so at $184 each tire, I could pass.
He suggested either 175x65x14 or 175x70x14.  The former are Ford Escort-spec
tires, but the latter give a higher profile.  I told him that my main
concern is that the speedo not be influenced too much (it gave up the ghost
3 weeks ago, but I didn't tell him that), plus, before deciding I would
check with other P6 owners about the size of their tires.       SO:

What tires are you P6 2000 owners running on your cars ans where do you go
for tire work?

Thanks.  Walter.

Walter D. Reynolds
19753 Wildcrest Avenue, Pitt Meadows, B.C.  V3Y 1M3
Ph:  604-465-6350   Fax:  604-465-6367