[ROVERNET - UK] Vinyl???Dashboard Cover?

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 25 03:24:08 BST 2004

Albert,
No, there isn't a tooth fairy and yes, the dash is
vacuum produced vinyl.
I have been experimenting with metal epoxy glue like
"JB Weld".  I tried 2 approaches afterwards. I used
that vinyl repair stuff with texture paper and a heat
applied metal thing.  That did not turn out well so I
scraped it off, cleaned the dash of past shiny
materials and reprayed with a black vinyl paint.  That
turned out better.

I did buy some black leather ($$$$$$) and tried to
cover a really damaged top.  The jury is still out on
the looks of that.  Perhaps it would look better if a
leather craftsman did it.

Best wishes,

Eric

--- Albert Boasberg <ABoasberg at webtv.net> wrote:

> Dear Lismates:
> I picked up my 1969 Rover TC2000 today
> http://community.webtv.net/ABoasberg/1969ROVERTC2000
> from the mechanic
> who just installed a new clutch. (Parts obtained
> from Ruth in Vancouver,
> B.C.).
> Just before departing, I asked him for a suggestion
> about who could
> repair a crack in my leather dashboard cover above
> the tach.
> He said, to my astonishment, that the cover was
> VINYL, not leather.
> Tell me it isn't so.
> Regards.
> Albert