[ROVERNET - UK] Re: Rover 2000 SC Steering Box

Paul Smith Paul.Smith at auroraenergy.com.au
Wed Sep 22 05:52:18 BST 2004

Yep, it is a very good sign that the idler oozed, it means the seal is
intact.  My SC oozed too when I removed the bolt.  The TC one didn't.  I'd
leave it alone.  You just fill them to the top, and the action of damping
(which the idler does too) heats the oil so it expands...

I'd say your problem is in the steering box, and I will bet the seal has
died so that the oil leaks out the bottom.
They are easy to adjust, is yours a workshop manual? If not I can scan the
page and email directly to you if desired.

PVS