[ROVERNET - UK] Does "Blue Label" refer to the exterior trim?

smanwell smanwell at sprintmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:23:47 BST 2004

I'm curious about what blue label might refer to also.

As for the white cars with blue accents, this color scheme was called
White and Blue Racing in the 1967 (maybe 1966?) North American brochure
with the Lime Rock sign on the cover. (This refers to the race track in
northwestern Connecticut.)

The late 1967 or early 1968 brochure lists these colors simply as
White/Blue.  This brochure is an odd one, because it introduces Federal
features like the tandem brake system with twin servos, the rectangular
Icelert instead of the round one and the door mirror instead of the
"bullet" mirror on the rear corner of the hood.  But: the April Yellow
car on the cover is an earlier NADA car as is the White/Blue car
featured inside the brochure.

My late 1968 TC also has the white and blue color scheme -- I too grew
up with cars like this around.  My grandfather had two of them as well
as a red one.

In the 60's race cars were still painted in colors representing their
country -- British racing green, Red for Italian cars, white and blue
for American cars, etc.  I presume that Rover was trying to fit into the
US market with features like the white and blue colors and the Magnum
500 wheels that would have been on Mustangs and other US cars at the time.

--Steve Manwell