[ROVERNET - UK] Pertronix ignition on Rover SD1

Franc Buxton fab at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 16:42:58 BST 2004

Andrew Moss wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have just installed a Pertonix ignition module into my SD1 as the
> Lucus system finally gave up. The car is a Australian spec. 1984 Vanden
> Plas SD1 with federal fuel injection. The ignition seems to work
> properly, but it has upset the fuel injection. I have taken the F.I.
> pickoff directly from the negative of the coil. The car is now running
> very rich if it runs at all.
> Has anyone else successfully done this conversion?

	I encounter this problem regularly, and it's a result of the FI being
totally incompatible with any system that produces a multiple spark. The
injection ECU uses the spark signal as a trigger for the fuelling event, so
when it sees multiple sparks for one ignition event it injects multiple amounts
of fuel. I don't know of any way around this except fitting a simpler ignition
system or a different EFI - sorry!

	Cheers,
		Franc.

--