[ROVERNET - UK] Starting Problems

A.G. Opstal van agopstal at poelmann.nl
Mon Oct 4 09:50:43 BST 2004

Ray,

To establish whether it is fuel or ignition
problems with nonstarters I always first take
a syringe with fuel and inject the carbs.

If there is ignition and normal starting power
the engine will start or at least sputter and then die again.

Only when not I will test ignition, sparks etc.

Take a plug out, keep the HT lead connected.
Place the plugbody against a earth. Body or engine.
Crank the engine either by hand or with the starter
and see if there is a spark.
When necessary repeat with other plugs.
When there are sparks check the static ignition timing.
When no sparks check the lowtension circuit.
Take a voltmeter, turn the ignition on and take
a reading on the + of the coil (SW). This should
be 6-9 volts. When turning the starter this should be
around 12 volt.

Do not mix up the HT leads to the plugs.
This is so easy with 8 leads. Now and again I
still make a mistake.

Regards,
Lex van Opstal.
Holland.