[ROVERNET - UK] Starting Problem

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 02:13:21 BST 2004

I'd vote for the Park switch under the console. Is there any change if you
wiggle the lever? I believe at that vintage you could also start the car in
N. I'm not sure about that though. Once it fails you could enlist the
assistance of a willing volunteer or a non-willing conscript, to hold the
key switch at "start" and check with a automotive 12V test light to check
for power at points in the circuit. The solenoid must also have 12V applied
to the small wire that energizes it. If it does and doesn't engage then it
is the solenoid. If it doesn't then it is before. Sorry if I am being too
basic. An intermittant engine ground may also stop you in your tracks. I
think you said the problem is met with complete silence, that is no clicking
of the starter solenoid is heard. Hope this helps.
Ron.