[ROVERNET - UK] P6B Sticking Handbrake

Ray Wilkins rwilkins at connexus.net.au
Mon Nov 22 11:45:48 GMT 2004

After not using my 1976 P6B for some weeks I found that the rear brakes
were sticking even though the handbrake had been released. I jacked the
car up and was able to (with the handbrake released) pull the 2
bellcrank levers apart with only a little force. Once the handbrake was
reapplied and then released the same thing happened. I will check it all
through and oil the felt washers and other moving parts to increase
lubrication and also check out the main return spring. The rubber
grommet that fits on the cable between the 2 bellcrank levers is shot to
pieces but I have a spare (on another cable) that is in top condition.
Does anyone know how I can get it off? The end of the cable is inserted
into a cross shaped end piece and appears to be crimped in. The ROP
isn't much help as it doesn't refer to this at all, just shows it in
diagrams. My questions are this;
1. Has anyone had experience of a sticking handbrake? Does anyone have
any tips or tricks to overcome this?
2. One member of Rovernet did mention that the end of the handbrake
cable is secured by screws and plates but that may only be the 2000.
Does anyone have any solutions to replacing this rubber grommet?
All comments would be greatly appreciated and accepted.

Thanks,

Ray Wilkins
1976 P6B
Melbourne Australia