[ROVERNET - UK] 3500 transmission questions

McArdle fmcardle at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Sun Jun 13 16:34:00 BST 2004

Hi Phil,

   First answer, use a Trans fluid marked "F" for Ford. The reason is 2
fold, remember that Borg Warner when these boxes were developed were
suppliers to Ford and built all of their boxes to their specs. ( Early on
Borg was even a partial subsidiary of Ford) Secondly the foaming
characteristics therefore the sheer strength of the fluid is different
from Dexron to Ford type. I have built lots of these boxes and believe me
the ones on Ford fluid have lasted much better. This trans has been used
in everything from Austins to Volvos and everything in between.As far as
parts go when I can't locate a Rover sourced gasket and filter I cross or
just compare to Volve stuff and the deed is done. As far as hard parts
they are all just about the same. Torgue converter specs a little
different , thats about it. As far as how it shifts it is a crude box at
best and you will never be able to make it truely smooth. Don't try. Keep
everything such as bands adjusted properly and I like to keep the kick
down adjusted for a rather high shift point compared to where the manuals
say to set them. This cable sets the internal pressure and it definatly
helps the box longevity if the shifts are positive and not slippy and
sloppy. Keep the fluid clean ( flush don't just change) and all adjusted
and you just might get some use out of this box. Remember it is just about
at the end of its power usage spec in the P6b, treat it so. Good luck and
contact me if you have any questions.