[ROVERNET - UK] bearing noise in noisy gearboxes

Alan Gale agale at ihug.com.au
Sun Jun 13 03:51:29 BST 2004

Mike -

My gearbox was rebuilt in 1997 by John Needham, who is well known to
vintage drivers ... he recommended plain engine oil, but stressed the
need to change it regularly and watch the level incessantly, both of
which I have done.
The car has done around 40,000 miles since then and the box is running
sweetly.  It is the engine which has cuased problems instead (see
earlier posts about head removals).
I think the reason is a combination of John's excellent work in the
first place (and his installation of reinforced bearings) and the
continued plenteous supply of clean oil.

Of course it could also be sheer good luck.

Alan