[ROVERNET - UK] p6/3500v8 question

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Sat Jun 5 00:21:53 BST 2004

OK, Guys, I can do this one.

Hi Martin,
If you are planning to put a V8 in a 4cylinder P6 base unit, the short
answer is "you can't".  Actually, you can, but the proceedure is one
that requires a LOT of cutting and welding and you will need an entire
front end of a P6B base unit to graft onto the P6 base unit.  The rear
mounting points for the lower trailing links are too close together and
too long to accomodate the V8 bellhousing and starter.  The front
crossmember is different and the 4cylinder engine mounting points must
be cut away. The transmission tunnel in the area of the firewall is too
small.  All that being said, if you do have a good front end from a p6B
base unit, it can be done.  But good P6B's are so cheap, why would you
want to do all that work?

You can mount the V8 further forward or further back but there are even
more difficulties involved.

Now if you are game so far, the Buick bellhousing and 4spd trans can be
made to work in a P6B but a better choice would be a T-5, T-50 or Tremec
five speed, any of which will fit the Buick/Olds four speed bellhousing.
  The Buick/Olds three speed bellhousing was made for a Borg Warner T-86
three speed trans and requires an adapter plate to use a modern trans of
any sort.  The trans used in the 3500S stick shift cars was a beefed up
P6 unit which is almost unknown in North America.  The SD1 3500 used an
LT77 five speed and these are becoming hard to find in good condition
and are getting more expensive to rebuild. Neither the Buick nor the
Olds automatic used '61-'63 is worth considering.  All the above
transmissions except the OEM Rover units will require driveshaft
modification.  Assuming you get all this bolted into your P6, you will
also have to change the differential to the V8 type and change the rear
trailing links to the "bent" V8 type.

Good question, though, since most folks assume that because P6 and P6B
look alike, that the V8 is an easy swap.\

Roverly,
Kent K.