[ROVERNET - UK] P6B - Rear Brakes removal

roger matheson rogerdm at iprimus.com.au
Fri Jul 30 16:39:20 BST 2004

Hi Michael,

The nut with the cover may be 7/8th or 11/16 AF  If you remove the handbrake
assembly and pull out the handbrake actuating pin you should have good
access to this nut.  In the past I have needed all my (considerable) weight
on a foot long spanner to undo the nut.  fortunately the caliper is well
held to the differential casing.  this means that you could put an extension
pipe on the spanner for extra leverage.  I would definetly invest in a
quality ring spanner, and then you will never have to do the job again.
Once the nut is removed you will need a 1/4 inch allen key engage in the
pin.  However the pin is held in by the nut you have already removed.  I
would spray in plenty of releasing oil, take the two rubber "O" rings off
the nut and screw it back in say three turns.  I would put some anti
clockwide pressure on the alen key and gently tap the end of the nut so as
to drift the pin towards the middle of the car.  this will also have the
effect of centralising the pin as you prise it loose.

Let us know how you go because the additional method of setting fire to your
car is always a last resort.

Cheers

Roger