[ROVERNET - UK] She won't budge...

Roger Matheson rogerdm at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jul 4 09:36:48 BST 2004

The best way to release a stuck clutch safely is to jack up both rear
wheels.  Start the engine in gear, raise the idle with the choke, press in
the clutch and then press the brake on and off with swift and sudden
aplications.  If this does not work, then you have to find a large clear
space (eg car park late one night).  Warm up the enging in neutral.  Stop
the engine and engage 1st.  Release the handbrake and start the car in gear
and go for a drive using the brakes to keep control.  Press the clutch in
and use the accelerator put alternative pressure acceleration and de
accleration on the clutch and the flywheel in a rocking motion.  It sounds
gastly and dramatic but the procedure will free the most stubborn clutch.
When it is free, have a stiff drink but stay uinder the limit.  Press the
brake, engage first and let the clutch begin to take up so as to remove any
traces of rust etc.  Drive home and have another stiff drink.