[ROVERNET - UK] Re: Public Domain Rover Information

Alan FRANCIS royston at jualry.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 07:17:31 BST 2004

I think whenever the paths of 'enthusiast' and 'business' cross there will
always be a conflict of interests. There have been discussions on this site
before about prices of various parts and the pros and cons of those prices.

I think there ARE many sites avaialable for the listing and selling of Rover
parts. Certainly EBAY springs to mind and I have used it myself and know
others on this site have also. Add to this both the P5&P6 Owners Clubs offer
an online parts listing service as does the P6 Drivers Club, all of which
are open to use by residents of countries outside the UK.I think it
important to mention that ROVERNET is almost unique in that the ratio of
contributors to location makes it predomiately those in the US/Canada and
Oz/New Zealand who contribute, and I accept that there may be specific
problems obtaining parts in those locations, though in Oz Scotts Auto Rubber
is a regular contributor/distributor and I know there are many in the US.
Pierre Janusz is also a regular contributor/distributor and there are many
other UK based dealers available on line.

So despite the feelings to the contrary I do think there ARE sufficient
places to buy/sell Rover parts and setting up another site would not really
serve much purpose with the exception maybe of being globally specific ie
US/Canada or Oz/NZ.

I think it important to remember this site is primarily a discussion forum
and whilst we all accept the odd appeal for a part (I have done so myself) I
don't think it fair to criticise the list moderator for not providing a
classified section nor expect him to do so. Discussion means exactly that
and if others decide they want a classified section there is nothing to stop
them creating their own and asking for a Rovernet endorsement. But having
watched (long suffering) Eric endure all manner of critcism and carping over
the last 7+ years please give the guy a break. He has created an excellent
DISCUSSION forum, if your not happy it has no classifieds then you know the
answer.
regards

Alan Francis (part viking)