[ROVERNET - UK] gear selector arm

Kit Foster foster at netbox.com
Wed Aug 18 02:36:23 BST 2004

I think everyone may be making too much rocket science out of this.
Back when I was driving a 2000TC as my only car (1970-84), I got
sick and tired of buying new gear levers with the rubbery blob every
20,000 miles. After the third one fell off, I took the naked lever, got
some nylon rod of about 1-1/2 inch diameter, cut off a length equal to
what the pear-shaped ball had been, and drilled a blind hole in the
center such that it was a force fit on the business end of the lever.

I drove the rod onto the lever, then shaped it into a pear-shaped ball
with a wood rasp, and reinstalled the lever into the car. It was still
shifting smoothly when I got rid of the car 60,000 miles later.

Kit