[ROVERNET - UK] Virus Warning

Peter Huttemeier peterhut at melbpc.org.au
Sun Aug 15 04:07:25 BST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:53:21 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>I just had an email sent to my account from a
>"spoofed" Rovernet server address.  The following is a
>copy/paste from the header.

Gents,

The latest round of new virus emails is attempting another form of
"social engineering" to get users to open the attachments.

This time the virus laden emails are purporting to come from your
friendly anti virus providers.

So, if you get an email coming form say support at symantec.com or
help at mcafee.com or something similar and it is saying something like:
"The sample file you sent contains a new virus version of mydoom.j.
Please clean your system with the attached signature.

Sincerely,
Help (or support) team"

Don't open it.

Major AV companies do not send out emails with attachments, any AV
updates are normally to be downloaded from their (hopefully secure)
sites.

As usual be careful out there!!

Cheers,

Peter H