[ROVERNET - UK] exhaust and back pressure

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 04:52:08 BST 2004

Ken, I have found that when the muffler falls off, (experiences of many
years past), there may be a lot more sound and I may think there is more
power but it usually takes a little longer to go through the gears. So
unless you have a dyno I do not think you will prove an exhaust problem by
removing the muffler. You may have better results by comparing the sizes of
each junction to make sure they are atleast the minimum spec'd. Since you
seem to be talking about an older Rover I am going to ask the obvious. Have
you had the tune checked, along with the advance of the distributor and
condition of carb(s)? Is this the older engine discussed a few months ago
that was rebuilt and therefore is not presently carboned up? Sorry if I
missed the preamble and all this has been discussed before.
Hope this helps, Ron.